This is very useful for those who are working in Magento eCommerce. After making an module
(I will post the method to develop a module within few days).
You can also refer this link for time being Develop Custom Magento Module for creating module.
You have to package the module after developing which is explained here Package Module.
Now obviously you want to test it.
So I am writing the steps to install the module into local server without using Magento Connect
1) Suppose your site is at /var/www/html/magentosite/.
2) You need to create a directory ‘var’ which will be placed here /var/www/html/magentosite/ and create a directory ‘pear’ inside ‘var’ and place your module package inside ‘pear’.
3) Suppose your package name is ‘mypackage-1.0.tgz’. So you will have directory structure /var/www/html/magentosite/var/pear/mypackage-1.0.tgz.
4) Now Open Terminal and execute this command
‘cd /var/www/html/magentosite/’ (excluding quotes)
5) And finally for installing the package execute this command
‘./pear install /var/www/html/magentosite/var/pear/mypackage-1.0.tgz’ (excluding quotes).
6) You will get a message of your status.